Jay Rock - Coming Soon to a Hood Near You (2008)

Jay Rock, Coming Soon to a Hood Near You, mixtape, TDE, Lil Wayne, Top Dawg Entertainment, Kendrick Lamar, I Cried
The cover of this mixtape is just a zoomed-in crop of "Watts Finest Vol. 2: The Nickerson Files"?! FUCK YOU!! Put in more effort!!

Jay Rock, Coming Soon to a Hood Near You, mixtape, TDE, Lil Wayne, Top Dawg Entertainment, Kendrick Lamar, I Cried

Check me out, motherfucker! I'm topical!! Donald Trump is our president, an Ariana Grande concert had a bomb go off last night, and Lil Dicky still hasn't put out a good album!! That's right, check me out, motherfucker, I'm the most topical motherfucker of all time. You know what's a good topic? Talking about the fucking ghetto! "All My Life (feat. Lil Wayne)" talks about how fucked it was growing up in the motherfucking ghetto, bitch! Isn't that some shit?! Alright, jokes aside, there's some good shit on here that's fun to blare in your headphones or whip (I wouldn't know, I'm too fucking poor to afford a car) but I think the biggest highlight of them all happens to be "I Cried" (which turns up barely any results at all when you Google it, and that fucking sucks) where Jay Rock talks in-depth about a friend who died in his arms, really exploring Jay Rock's thoughts concerning it and being (I hate saying "man enough" but you get what I'm trying to say) man enough to admit that past this tough "I'm a gangsta" persona that this shit fucking eats him alive inside. In a sea of songs about how he's gonna make it, it's a song that really makes you sit back and listen to exactly what he's saying and how he's saying it, as he's fully realizing just how fucked gang life in the ghetto is, now that he knows someone who was on the other side of the gun, all the while dreaming of fantasies on how to kill the man who took his friend's life, likening himself to a bounty hunter in order to avenge the death of a great friend who left behind his children in this fucked up world. You can live your life with some "no one can fuck with me, I don't give a fuck" disguise to hide your emotions, but this track sees Jay Rock falling to his knees in a world that tore someone away from him. Overall, it's a pretty good mixtape, not great, but there's a good amount of stuff on here worth paying attention to. One thing that's pretty funny is that he boasts "What's the difference between you and me? I'm in these streets, you industry" in "In the Streets" but haha, ohh, if only you knew that your good friend Kendrick Lamar would go on to collaborate with Maroon 5!! Speaking of which, thank God he only has two verses on here. He's a real nice guy for that.

7/10

________________________________________________________
Feel free to check out this mixtape for FREE on DatPiff!

READ THESE AND GET MAD