Hopsin & SwizZz - Haywire (2009)

Hopsin, SwizZz, Haywire, mixtape, Funk Volume, album, collab, Lucifer Effect
DON'T HURT 'EM, HOP!!

Hopsin, SwizZz, Haywire, mixtape, Funk Volume, album, collab, Lucifer Effect

On this mixtape, Hopsin and SwizZz make their debut as not only a duo, but also their first releases (if you don't count Hopsin's local-only "Emurge" from back in 2003 or so) in general, and lemme tell ya.. Man, this is not that good. Back in the day when I became a Hopsin fan (those were some odd times) I saw this and thought "Oh man, this is gonna be better than "Watch the Throne"!! That album sucked!!" but I was a dumbass who didn't properly understand the artistry and talent of Jay-Z and Kanye West, who, despite all of their talk about bitches, still manage to come across as much more mature than Hopsin and SwizZz, and no, I don't hate them in some "haha these guys are dumbasses" way, I actually dig a bit of the shit they've put out in their solo careers, I just think this shit has a -few- good moments where I think "alright, this is something" and some decent beats but overall it just leaves more to be desired. Tons of "how to make a beat like Eminem in FL Studio demo" beats that aged like a decaying corpse, rapping about various shit about how insane they are or how good they are at rapping, and general "REAL HIP-HOP LIVES UNDERGROUND!! CHECK OUT MY BANDCAMP!!" shit. Hopsin's flow and voice is pretty cool, but SwizZz doesn't really entertain me at all on this mixtape, especially in the case of "Wanna Know" because that shit is corny as fuck, and don't even get me fucking started at his attempt to making a club tune with "Ramble", but I think the thing that disappointed me the most on this mixtape is that the first few tracks (and even the mixtape cover, really) makes you believe this is gonna be some hard-hitting shit fulla bars, and then there's so many insufferable moments on here where they're both just being emo jackasses, with the ending (solo Hopsin) track "Leave Me Alone" where it seriously sounds like he wrote this shit when he was 14 years old and got roasted in a chat on "Gaia Online". Inspired by my own idiocy, I really want to meet up with someone who seriously believes this is better than the album that Jay-Z and Kanye West cooked up, grab them by the shoulders and shake them absolutely fucking relentlessly. God damn you, edgy teenagers!!

6/10

________________________________________________________
Feel free to check out this mixtape for FREE on DatPiff!

READ THESE AND GET MAD