Childish Gambino - "Awaken, My Love!" (2016)

Childish Gambino, Awaken My Love, Me and Your Mama, Redbone, California, Have Some Love, Boogieman, Zombies
Am I the "Love" he talks about in the title of the album? Because this shit is a snoozefest.

Childish Gambino, Awaken My Love, Me and Your Mama, Redbone, California, Have Some Love, Boogieman, Donald Glover

When I first heard that Childish Gambino would be releasing a funk/soul album, my first thought was "What the fuck" and my second thought was "I need to catch this nut" because I was taking a small break in my masturbation session. I wasn't really hyped, but I wasn't opposed to the idea: We had just lost Prince earlier in the year, could Gambino channel some of that sexy music? Well.. Yeah, he can, but it's not very good. "Me and Your Mama" is genuinely the only song on here I even mildly like, and the rest range from forgettable to just plain fucking bad, like in the case of "California" where Gambino sounds like Courage the Cowardly Dog, and his fans will be all "OOO DAMN I FUXXX W/ IT" but we all know that they wouldn't keep it on their harddrives if it was just some random Jamaican artist: It's all about the Childish Gambino brand-name, baby!! Gotta force ourselves to like it!! Aaahh I can't wait to get a private message about what a dumbass I am. Ooo boy. Mmm.


For an album that obviously had quite a bit of work put into it, it all comes together to make a pretty fuckin' disappointing experience that people will tell you "it's not a headphones album, it's an album you put on in the background" which is fucking stupid because it's basically saying "the most enjoyment you'll get out of this album is if you mostly ignore it" and I doubt that's what Childish Gambino was aiming for. Annoying vocal inflections, subpar songwriting, and the general fuckin' BORING nature of the songs leaves so much to be desired, all of which can be cured with just an ounce of the magic that was bestowed upon "Because the Internet" that is oddly missing here. I don't dislike this album because it's a departure from his regular meat-and-potatoes "pun pun pun pun PUUUNNNN" hip-hop, but because it just generally fuckin' sucks Funkadelic's dick a little too hard. Come on, Gambino, you're gonna suck the kidney stones out!!

4/10
________________________________________________________

Feel free to check out the song previews/buy this album using my Amazon Associate link!

READ THESE AND GET MAD