Jay Rock - 90059 (2015)

Jay Rock, 90059, Money Trees Deuce, Gumbo, Easy Bake, Vice City, Necessary, Fly on the Wall
God damn it.

Jay Rock, 90059, Money Trees Deuce, Gumbo, Easy Bake, Vice City, Necessary, Fly on the Wall

I think "90059" is a really unique album in the way that it manages to pull in EVERYONE from TDE's artist roster in order to attempt to make the most mediocre album that they possibly can. I'm serious: It takes some serious talent to take a group of talented individuals and make an album this middle-of-the-road. As you might know, Jay Rock is (at least at this point in time) my favorite member of the entire TDE roster and while I've shat on some of his previous releases, I've enjoyed a few of his mixtapes quite a bit, so I was excited to check out this album, thinking "yeah, THIS is where Jay Rock is finally gonna put his talents to full-use!" but it turns out to be full of pretty bland beats and features, and also features Jay Rock changing his rapping style up a lot on some tracks to be -really- fucking annoying, imitating that flow Drake has when he's yelling. I don't know how to explain it. The hook on the title track is God-fucking-awful, and the Black Hippy cut, the one everyone praises, "Vice City (feat. Black Hippy)" is easily the most mediocre thing I've heard -every- artist on the track ever put out, with each of them using the -exact- same hashtag-rap flow the entire fucking track, so you hear basically the exact same thing in different voices for the duration of, may I repeat, THE ENTIRE FUCKING TRACK. Whoever tries to tell you that this is a hard track, or a "banger" is just fucking with you. Cut that "friend" out of your life. This album overall is just some boring shit that you can't really point a finger at much and say "yeah, THIS is bad" as much as the entire thing just floats shyly in the background, actively trying to not stick out amongst its peers, as to not be noticed, much like me in the eighth grade.


5/10
________________________________________________________
Feel free to check out the song previews/buy this album using my Amazon Associate link!

READ THESE AND GET MAD