New Found Glory - Not Without a Fight (2009)

New Found Glory, Not Without a Fight, Listen to Your Friends, Don't Let Her Pull You Down, Truck Stop Blues, Tangled Up, Easycore, Mark Hoppus
Why this album cover? Why?

New Found Glory, Not Without a Fight, Chad Gilbert, Cyrus Bolooki, Steve Klein, Jordan Pundik, Ian Grushka, Truck Stop Blues

I have something a little embarrassing to admit: Okay, so, easycore, right? Bands like A Day To Remember, Four Year Strong, even New Found Glory on this album. I had been using the term "easycore" correctly for years but it never occurred to me WHY it's called that until just a few days ago: it's not because it's easy to enjoy, but because it's a lighter version of hardcore! Fuck! Anyhow, remember the occasional chugga chugga riffs on "Catalyst"? They're in full-swing here on a few tracks and it's really weird because, y'know, sure, it doesn't take anything away from the tracks for me, but at the same time, it's weird as shit to hear New Found Glory do them no matter what their musical background is. It's also worth noting that I'd never have any fucking idea that Mark Hoppus of blink-182 fame produced this album unless I was told, because there's nothing in this entire album that gives me a distinctive Mark Hoppus vibe: Not a SINGLE joke about fucking your grandparents to be found!


Okay, the songs and stuff. Albums typically have songs on them, I've noticed, and wouldn't you know it, New Found Glory is still mostly doing the same stuff they've always done, so you probably already know if you're gonna like this album or not, but I have to admit: Screaming "I'LL NEVER LOVE AGAIN!!!" in a song of the same name is a bit cringeworthy coming from guys who were in their 30s at the time of recording. I know, singing about past experiences and shit, yeah, but come on. I guess that, and the music on this album in general is basically the same stuff the band has always done and probably always will do, aside from the great departure of "Coming Home", but hey: You like them for that, don't ya? I know I do, because I know I'm always gonna get something that I like, even if this album kinda feels like "People didn't like "Coming Home"?! Gotta push out a pop-punk album NOW!! Also, BREAKDOWNS!!" at times, which is pretty funny considering they were making fun of breakdowns and general metalcore shit with that International Superheroes of Hardcore EP just the year before. Can't really point out any songs as being highlights, but I know they're all at least passable and not without merit... Or a fight. Heh. Seriously, why fucking get Mark Hoppus to produce your album if it's not going to sound like it?! Ugh, time to binge-listen songs he's been a part of.

7/10
________________________________________________________
Feel free to check out the song previews/buy this album using my Amazon Associate link!

READ THESE AND GET MAD