Twenty One Pilots & Mutemath - TOPxMM (2016)

Twenty One Pilots, Mutemath, TOPxMM, Heathens, HeavyDirtySoul, Ride, Tear in my Heart, Lane Boy
I really, really do wish interesting band collaborations (such as this) would happen more often. Can you imagine what it'd be like if Carly Rae Jepsen and the instrumental side of Red Hot Chili Peppers made something similar to this? What about Mike Patton and The Dillinger Escape Plan? What abo- WAIT, THAT LAST ONE IS REAL!! CHECK OUT "Irony is a Dead Scene" NOW YOU FUCKING PLEBES!!

Twenty One Pilots, Mutemath, TOPxMM, Heathens, HeavyDirtySoul, Ride, Tear in my Heart, Lane Boy

Twenty One Pilots, Mutemath, TOPxMM, Heathens, HeavyDirtySoul, Ride, Tear in my Heart, Lane Boy

This EP is a collaboration with the alternative/post-rock masters Mutema- HEY, LOUDWIRE! GIVE ME MY FUCKING KEYBOARD BACK!! FUCKING JACKASSES. Now, as we were: This EP is a collaboration with the alternative/post-rock band Mutemath, who you might recall that I've mentioned a story about my brother being gifted one of their albums in my review of Paramore's "Riot!" unless I actually mentioned them in another review, in which case.. Fuckin' check out that review anyway. Anyhow, Mutemath has never really interested me, but man, you gotta hear how they help reconstruct these fuckin' songs. It's not just them playing the tunes live as-on-record, but they really put their own edge to the songs to help bring them to life, and to help break away from Twenty One Pilots' standard squeaky-clean production, offering something a bit more raw, adventurous, and atmospheric instead. In fact, respect to Tyler Joseph and Josh Dun, but Mutemath is really what makes this EP, to the point where I wish I could actually get into their work. Mutemath's work on this EP is much like your mom coming over to your apartment to clean, even though you keep telling her "stop cleaning!!" in an attempt to just get her to relax. This probably won't make you a Twenty One Pilots fan if you weren't beforehand, but the best possible move that Twenty One Pilots could make for their career is to have Mutemath in the studio with them for their next album. I mean, really: Why not? Who would be opposed to it after hearing this EP? Here's a hint: Not me.


7/10
________________________________________________________
Feel free to check out the song previews/buy this album using my Amazon Associate link!

READ THESE AND GET MAD