Green Day - Warning (2000)

Green Day, Warning, Minority, Waiting, Macy's Day Parade, Church on Sunday, Castaway, Misery
Is the title track on here the first track Green Day was ever accused of plagiarizing from another artist or band? You know, in this case being The Kinks' "Picture Book", a real hit with the modern punk rock community, don't you know?

Green Day, Warning, Minority, Waiting, Macy's Day Parade, Church on Sunday, Castaway, Misery

In other news, I heard the newest Fall Out Boy single today and I thought "what are some more pop-punk bands who shat the bed at one point or another?" and I thought of Green Day, but thankfully not for this album, oh no, don't worry, the disappointment comes later. On this album, compared to the pissed off punk nature of the other albums, this comes across as a lot more homegrown and natural for the boys to have made when they were bored of pumping out pop-punk, instead, focusing more on the fact that they could musically experiment on the previous album "Nimrod" and still be loved by fans, which lead them to taking a bit more of a "let's take my acoustic guitar to go panhandle at the subway station so we can get money to buy hobo wine" approach with some of the tunes on here, and I dig it. I don't -love- it but you've gotta show some respect to a band that was known for being a bunch of immature assholes suddenly dialing shit back a bit, focusing less on the distorted powerchords and more on songwriting skills, which leads to the excellent "Castaway" and "Deadbeat Holiday", and just for added fun, they ended up throwing a bit of folk-punk in the tried and true Green Day formula of bitching about the world over "I just got my first guitar, what are some easy songs?" chords, so you can finally listen to a band that isn't your best friend's alcoholic wife's favorite band (Dropkick Murphys, who I initially typed as "Deadkick Murphies" in my sleepy haze) for when you're drinking and want to obnoxiously embrace the fact that you're 1/8th Irish. Also, if you're me at 14, you're REALLY going to like the song "Minority" to the point where you'll be stomping on your bedroom floor to the beat! Also also, if you happen to be me at 14, fucking have some faith in yourself, dude. Anyhow, isn't it great to see them perform that song live and see a bunch of white kids screaming that they want to be minorities? YES, I know the context of the phrase in the song, you fucking asshole, don't steal my shine!!


7/10
________________________
Feel free to check out the song previews/buy this album using my Amazon Associate link!

Click here to listen to this FOR FREE on Spotify! WOW! HOT DAMN!

Read about this album on Wikipedia! Great stuff to read while on the toilet! Yeah!

READ THESE AND GET MAD