Green Day - Dookie (1994)

Green Day, Dookie, When I Come Around, Longview, Welcome to Paradise, Basket Case, She, album
They thought the title of "Liquid Dookie" was too immature so they just went with "Dookie", I shit you n- I DOOKIE YOU NOT! Google that dookie!

Green Day, Billie Joe Armstrong, Mike Dirnt, Tre Cool, Dookie, Basket Case, Welcome to Paradise, Longview

Man, do they deal with a lot of dookie that comes with being a teenager or what? I was a pretty angsty, angry teenager who was pretty much mad, outside of a few soul-crushing instances, for no reason at all except to just be a pissed off young man. I idolized people who had their shit together and I couldn't deal with the special grade of shit that only a teenage girl can inflict on you. I guess, to some degree, I was in the same boat going up shit's creek as Green Day on this album, but despite my best efforts to record music in the four walls of a mobile home that I called my world, I didn't come out with anything noteworthy, but these guys did!

Yep, it's still catchy punk rock, but it's poppier than before, and significantly better composed. The melodies, riffs, drum work, everything is better than their previous albums. You won't find any moments like the genius bassline of "Longview" on previous albums, I'll tell you that right off the bat. What you WILL find on a previous album is "Welcome to Paradise" which is much better on this album than on "Kerplunk", but that's just to be expected because no one ever re-records a song unless they're trying to make it better.. Unless they're Vanilla Ice. He actually re-recorded "Ice Ice Baby" but reworked it as a nu-metal song, I shit you not! Hell, for an added dosage of "What the hell, Van Winkle?!" look up his covers album "Vanilla Ice is Back!" where he covers "Fight the Power" by Public Enemy, "Insane in the Brain" by Cypress Hill and more. He's also signed to Psychopathic Records, the label that Insane Clown Posse owns. Oh well, basically what I'm saying is that I have attention deficit disorder.

Catchy tunes that'll stick in your head and aren't a chore to get through at all. Not too much to say about it other than that, but it has a certain "I'm a lazy teenage suburbanite who loves weed and hates social situations" vibe to it, which "Longview" basically fully encompasses in a single song. Believe it or not, I didn't realize it was a song about masturbation until a few years ago, I thought it was just a lone reference. I can't even say I was a dumbass kid: I WAS A TEENAGER LISTENING TO THIS SHIT!! No wonder I didn't have very many friends, but thank God for Green Day having some loner anthems for 13 year old me to be able to blare on my Creative Zen Media Player, such as the fantastic track "She". It's a crime that it didn't have a music video! Remember O.J. Simpson killing his wife and Ronald Goldman? Don't get me wrong, I'm not a lawyer but I'm fairly positive that's a crime as well, but the exclusion of "She" has got me inching this bottle of Xanax closer to the bottle of MD 20/20 every night!

Sure, it's relatively simple music that's pretty neato and I can easily handle listening to the whole album, and while some moments can go right through one ear and out the other, I'd be lying if I said I don't generally have a fun time listening to it. Not an incredible, phenomenal album, but it's certainly something to put on in the car with friends, provided you have any, but if you don't, ah well, there's probably a few Green Day songs for that.

Hell, why am I even describing this album? Your older brother probably has it! Go pry the cassette from his old backpack that people have written on with marker circa 2002, try to figure out who the hell "J-Rad" is and why he drew a picture of Courage the Cowardly Dog with a huge erection on it, and then try to figure out what the hell to do with a cassette in 2016. Here's your answer to one of those: Drink until you forget. Here's your answer to the other: Just whip it at the back of a head of someone wearing sweatpants in public.

That's actually MY genius plan on how to get a cassette copy! THANKS, ASSHOLE!!.. Now I have to figure out what to do with this shit!!

8/10
________________________
Feel free to check out the song previews/buy this album using my Amazon Associate link!


Click here to listen to this FOR FREE on Spotify! WOW! HOT DAMN!

Read about this album on Wikipedia! Great stuff to read while on the toilet! Yeah!

READ THESE AND GET MAD