blink-182 - Dude Ranch (1997)

blink-182, Dude Ranch, Tom DeLonge, Mark Hoppus, Scott Raynor, Dammit, Josie, Pathetic
blink-182, Dude Ranch, alternate cover, Mark Hoppus, Scott Raynor, Dammit, Josie, Pathetic
I'm not even shitting you when I tell you that it was only last month that I found out that "Dude Ranch" is a euphemism for semen. No, really. My face upon finding out after all of these years was a mixture of shame, confusion, and realization. I don't know if I'm a dumbass or if these guys are brilliant.

blink-182, Dude Ranch, Tom DeLonge, Mark Hoppus, Scott Raynor, Dammit, Josie, Pathetic

If they're not brilliant for making semi-clever potty-humor jokes, then they might as well be brilliant for making an album of raw, powerful sounding pop-punk about anything and everything under the sun for the average teenager. Something about the general sound of this album brings back feelings of youth and being (almost to a fault) completely unapologetic for your behavior or actions, in the name of "It might be funny" as the only reason for doing so.

I'm almost 22 and I still relate to this album! I know, I'm pathetic.. I KNEW WHEN SHE SAID IT!! Man, doesn't that lyric just cut deep as hell on the wrong days?! Hell, don't most of these songs?! This album might as well be the official soundtrack for when I was 14/15, and what a hell of a soundtrack it is! I'm sure you already know about "Dammit", with its instantly catchy riff, and bassist/vocalist Mark Hoppus yelling his girl issues and woes over it, but what about the fast, lovable "Josie"? The relatable "Untitled" and "Emo"? WHAT ABOUT THEM?! Nearly every song on here is gold, dammit! I'm masturbating right now and I don't even WANT to!!

Here's the thing, dick lips, this album pretty much never stops being an album you want to scream every word of to live. The band really honed their craft on this album, with guitarist/vocalist Tom DeLonge bringing even catchier riffs, bassist/vocalist Mark Hoppus massively improving his vocals (no more monotonous calm singing!), and drummer Scott Raynor rarely taking a moment to stop playing pummeling punk beats. On this release, blink-182 finally comes across as a band with ambition and nonstop energy, with the vocals feeling less restrained and more passionate, and I'll be damned if the entire album isn't just a shitload catchier than anything they put out before!

To me, this album perfectly encompasses the raw, passionate, and awkward feelings that come with being a teenager, from the angst, to the newfound lust, to the immature humor. There's just something special about this record that can only be explained in a "You had to be there" sort of way, but with a unique story every time for every listener who finds themselves turning the album on, time after time, be it on a crazy night out with your best friend, or laying alone on your bed because you were left out from the fun on said night. Sometimes you need someone to pick you up off of the ground, dust you off, and then kick your shin to throw you off balance as a joke, and who would you trust more to do so than this lovable trio of potty-humor loving punk poets?

Okay, "poets" is definitely a stretch, but I've heard that if you say "potty-humor loving punk poets" 182 times quickly while in the bathroom with the lights off, Mark Hoppus will appear behind you in the mirror and give you a wedgie, but I've yet to test this myth out because I'm afraid of just what might happen in my pants if he whispers into my ear during it.

8/10
________________________________________________________
Feel free to check out the song previews/buy this album using my Amazon Associate link!

READ THESE AND GET MAD