Superjoint Ritual - A Lethal Dose of American Hatred (2003)

Superjoint Ritual, A Lethal Dose of American Hatred, Phil Anselmo, album, Waiting for the Turning Point, Dress Like a Target, Jimmy Bower, Joe Fazzio
Here we go again!

Superjoint Ritual, A Lethal Dose of American Hatred, Phil Anselmo, album, Waiting for the Turning Point, Dress Like a Target, Jimmy Bower, Joe Fazzio

See, if you handed me their first album and said "Here's Superjoint Ritual's second album!" I'd be none the wiser because all of these songs sound like the same exact shit I heard before: Guitarists trying to be Dimebag Darrel with their riffs, Phil Anselmo screaming constantly over it, and just a bunch of songs that sound really similar for the most part, which sucks because I like everyone involved with this band and I had a tough time getting down exactly why I don't like this band's music, and I think it all comes down to the fact that the guitarists don't really know how to do anything but generic Pantera riffs (aside from "Symbol of Nevermore", that song has some cool shit in it, and Phil Anselmo, while his vocals are awesome, he also has a great singing voice which he NEVER uses in this band, and when it's just Phil Anselmo screaming constantly, it gets old because when he'd loose a big scream in Pantera, it was generally a contrast to what was just happening in the song, like as if to say "GET READY, SOME SHIT'S ABOUT TO HAPPEN" but when it's CONSTANT in this band, it's just not very interesting, no matter how cool it may be.

The lyrics are pretty generic as always: Dumbass tough guy shit to hype you up in the gym to make your TapOut shirt drenched in sweat. I swear I heard Phil Anselmo say "Kill yourself" in multiple songs, which means this is definitely the album I should listen to the next time I'm reflecting on my life. Aside from that, he apparently stole a page out of Kutless' lyric book because he screams "MY GOD BEATS THE FUCK OUT OF YOUR GOD" in "Symbol of Nevermore" and that's silly, mr. Anselmo! Stop hitting me with them Christian messages!! If I wanted to hear that, I'd hang out with the preacher at the church I used to go to when I was a child. He got arrested for DUI so I know he knows how to party.

4/10
________________________________________________________
Feel free to read other reviews and perhaps buy this album via my Amazon Associates link!

READ THESE AND GET MAD