Misfits - Descending Angel (2013)

Misfits, Descending Angel, Science Fiction Double Feature, Rocky Horror Picture Show, Jerry Only, Dez Cadena, Eric Arce, 2013
I shouldn't have to ask "Why?" so many times in a band's discography but Jerry Only (who, despite how much I shit on him, seems like a GREAT guy) confuses the living fuck out of me sometimes.

Misfits, Descending Angel, Science Fiction Double Feature, Rocky Horror Picture Show, Jerry Only, Dez Cadena, Eric Arce, 2013

Another release that's just two songs, which is weird because they seem to love doing that shit. It's basically a covers single, with "Science Fiction/Double Feature" from "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" being covered, and even more curiously, "Descending Angel" being rerecorded, but it fucking FEELS like a cover despite being a Misfits tune because Jerry Only just doesn't have the gritty punk rock feeling to his voice like Michale Graves does, and even if he did, why rerecord this song? Was this some fan-favorite I wasn't aware of? Every time I had heard "Famous Monsters", which, trust me, as a teenager, was a LOT of times, I pretty much tuned out during "Descending Angel" because I always considered it as as being one of the album's weaker cuts. Regardless, this re-recording doesn't have the same groove during the chorus as the original, so somehow it manages to make me care even less for a song I never cared for in the first place.


I've never seen "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" despite it being a cult classic, and I -KNOW- I should, but I just haven't really ever had the opportunity to and I feel a bit late to the party, so maybe some of the effect of the cover is lost on me, but no matter if I was a big fan or not, this cover doesn't sound like a Misfits tune, and so I'm just not a fan. Regardless, all of this cheesy "IT'S HALLOWEEN EVERY DAY" shit is gonna make me even more mentally constipated than I already am. Nothing about this is punk rock, and I don't mean some elitist shit (I fucking love blink-182, the fuck you mean?) but it just musically isn't punk rock. If Jerry Only wants to keep doing some heavy metal or cover songs shit, make a new band or put it out under your own name, because stuff like this just sounds so awkward for the Misfits to perform.

5/10
________________________________________________________
Feel free to check out the song previews/buy this album using my Amazon Associate link!

READ THESE AND GET MAD