Bring Me the Horizon - This Is What the Edge of Your Seat Was Made For (2004)

Bring Me the Horizon, first EP, first album, deathcore, this is what the edge of your seat was made for, 2004, traitors never play hangman

"Kenny, what's with you reviewing so much deathcore recently?!" You ask me. "I'm a glutton for punishment." I respond, trying to seem cool when in all actuality, my random "what album do I listen to today?" generator for some reason has been consistently picking deathcore bands, but my initial response sounds kinda funny I guess. Sorta. Please don't hate me.

Bring Me the Horizon, BMTH, band, emo, 2007, Oli Sykes, Oliver Sykes, deathcore

Holy shit, I can actually tell the songs apart on here! Despite being deathcore and being fairly generic on their next release (Oops, SPOILER ALERT on that one!), this one is actually kinda technical! The songs don't just abide by chuggachugga riffs with some grr-grr growls over it. These guys sound like they were listening to two widely respected metal bands at the same time when a fortunate collision happened:

WHOOPSY DIDDLES, YOU GOT -YOUR- CANNIBAL CORPSE IN -MY- DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN!!

Oli Sykes' vocals on this are pretty intense sounding at times, and lean more towards his high and mid-screams than low growls, with the homeboys Lee Malia and Curtis Ward holding down the guitar side of things quite well, complimented nicely by Matt Nicholls' drumming skills. As for the bassist, Matt Kean? WHO KNOWS! IT'S DEATHCORE!!

Even if the songs on here have stupidass names ("Rawwwrr!" being a prime example), they're pretty well-crafted for the genre and show a different side of the band than what they became, and what they became after that, and what they became after that, and what they became after that, and what they will turn out to be on their next album. I'm hoping for an electro-pop folk album at this point.

7/10

________________________________________________________
Feel free to check out the song previews/buy this album using my Amazon Associate link!

READ THESE AND GET MAD