Against Me! - Tom's Demo (1997)

Against Me, Tom's Demo, First Demo, Demo

Against Me! are a folk-punk band with other influences, but on this demo/EP, we find it as a solo affair by the vocalist/guitarist.


Laura Jane Grace, Against Me, Tom Gabel, young, guitar, acoustic

First off, no matter how many badges you have sewn into your vests, no matter how many underground local shows you go to, or even how many tattoos, piercings, or whatever else.. Vocalist/guitarist (born with the name Tom Gabel) is infinitely more punk rock than you are. Why? Because she came out as transgender in 2012 and is now Laura Jane Grace. Name one thing you've done that's more punk that that.. Unless you've already done that, in which case, you're more punk rock than most punk rock enthusiasts I've met.

I'm, of course, bringing this up now so that for the rest of the review, and reviews of their albums, I never have to bring it up or explain again, mind you. Now onto the demo, which was titled "Tom's Demo" by fans. I'm only referring to it as that due to its popular name.

Now THIS is the shit.. tiest sounding folk-punk demo I've ever heard! It sounds like it was recorded using a cheap microphone from Walmart while Laura had the TV going on in the background. No, I shit you not: Aside from some things that were obviously put in just as samples, such as the sample of the Darth Vader rant from Kevin Smith's classic film "Chasing Amy", but in the last track, "24 Hours a Day", it sounds like Laura just left the TV playing in the background while recording it! For what reason, I don't know why.

The songs are mostly the same, just acoustic guitar playing with some loud as shit screaming over it, occasionally with some calmer vocals. I am having a tough time picking tracks out from each other because they all, aside from the last track, sound like an audible assault on my eardrums. Against Me!? No, I'm just against this shitty demo!!


Even if I can't understand the lyrics, which, from what I've seen, can be quite anarchistic, and that's interesting to hear come from a by a then-17 year old with a lot of passion,, and the vocals can sometimes irritate my ears, I know one thing: Whatever she's screaming about, she means it.. But it's just so hard to listen to.

4/10

READ THESE AND GET MAD