Carly Rae Jepsen - Kiss (2012)

Carly Rae Jepsen, Kiss, Call Me Maybe, Curiosity, Good Time, Beautiful, Tonight I'm Getting Over You, This Kiss
Carly Rae Jepsen, Kiss, Call Me Maybe, Curiosity, Good Time, Beautiful, Tonight I'm Getting Over You, This Kiss
Alas, another album I'd file under "Guilty Pleasures" if I was a human-being capable of feeling shame or any other form of emotion.

Carly Rae Jepsen, Kiss, Call Me Maybe, Curiosity, Good Time, Beautiful, Tonight I'm Getting Over You, This Kiss

If you met me at a party and asked "Yo, do you fuck with pop?" I'd probably say "A little bit, yeah" unless you were referring to soda, in which case I'd say "Do you mean SODA, you inbred yokel?!" and flip over a table. That being said, I can be a sucker for the occasional song (i.e. "Call Me Maybe") but not enough to actually go out and acquire the album. To really nail that point home, I can go where online pirates congregate at a bay and easily search for the album to have in my possession in less than a minute, but I can't even bring myself to muster up that much effort unless something -really- catches my ear, and lo and behold, tinnitus did. You were expecting me to say "Carly Rae Jepsen did!" but TINNITUS IS A BITCH!! Wear earplugs to shows, kids!!

That being said, when it comes to talking about modern pop music, I can come to a loss for words when talking about the actual music unless some really crazy and/or unique shit is going on there, and to be honest with you, there's nothing really extraordinarily out-of-the-blue about this album.. But it works to its advantage, because with this album, Carly Rae Jepsen manages to crank out consistent straight-to-radio hits that you'd probably hate if you were working in a retail job with songs from this album on repeat, but for the rest of us that've been saved or have not yet experienced the living hell that is retail, this album, much like a good deal of Carly's music, is like sugary-as-fuck candy, but unlike her previous work, takes a little bit longer to get sick of!

The 1980s-pop influence on this album is pretty prominent, giving the same feeling that you'd get from hearing the Bangles' 1986 hit "Manic Monday" on the radio throughout pretty much the entire album, and there are a handful of funky (sometimes even slapped) basslines to make you pay attention to more than just a catchy vocal melody. This album is excellently produced! Everything is clean, serene, and bursting with a bubbly personality, which, accompanied by Carly's voice which is PERFECT for the genre, is a real treat! If you find yourself getting down to pop music in the car that your parents bought you, I can see every track on this album being a love-at-first-sight in music form, and while I'm not exactly a fanatic of it, this album seriously has some personality, charisma, and love behind it that I can't deny. More than a love-letter to her (ex-)lover(s), it sounds like a love-letter to pop music in general, past and present. If you like one track, even the smash hits "Call Me Maybe" and/or "Good Time (Feat. Owl City)", then you're bound to like this entire album, but if they piss you off, then take a fuckin' Xanax and come back, because you're missing out. That and I want you to fall down the river of addiction with me so I don't feel as alone anymore.

The music is definitely clean, serene, and sterile to the point where some people would hate it from that alone, but people are stupid, y'know? People are absolutely moronic when they don't like the things I like and hate the things I hate. While I'm at it: People always talk about the 1980s having the best pop music, especially given that it was arguably a much more innocent time lyrically for the genre compared to nowadays sexual anthems, but you know what? Having a catchy album is good, but having a catchy album that someone can listen to in its entirety online for $FREE.99 is great! The act of fucking over people by not paying them is GREAT!! SPEAKING OF WHICH, HOLD A SEC, MY DRUG DEALER IS AT THE DOOR!! Okay, back, but there goeth my front teeth. "Kith" by Carly Rae Jepthen ith pretty good. Nothing ground-breaking, but at leath it ain't teeth-breaking!! Haha my life ith about to get a lot harder :(

7/10
________________________________________________________
Feel free to check out the song previews/buy this album using my Amazon Associate link!

READ THESE AND GET MAD