Logic - Young, Broke & Infamous (2010)

Logic, Young Broke & Infamous, Mixtape, 2010, Sir Robert Bryson Hall II, rapper, first album, first mixtape
Probably infamous for unintended reasons now.

Logic, Young Broke & Infamous, Mixtape, 2010, Sir Robert Bryson Hall II, rapper, first album, first mixtape

I believe part of what constitutes a good review is no bullshit, so let's get right into the MUSICAL bullshit: Logic has a good flow at times, don't get me wrong, like on "BackPack" where it almost sounds like he's rapping like he's firing an SMG on burst, but he doesn't really have much to say or interesting ways to say anything. He's just kinda.. There. Nobody knows how he got there but there he is.

This was just so irritating to listen to for some reason, and I figure a huge part of it is just that there just.. There just isn't much here! The beats don't really do anything for me, despite the numerous samples I recognize, such as the various Kanye West samples, but it doesn't even really sound like Logic is someone worth paying attention to, and is just trying to be an impersonator of famous rappers. I know a huge criticism of Logic's is his (from what I've heard) near constant biting of other people's styles, but I didn't know it was actually this obviously apparent. "I Just Wanna" and the title track sounds like he's trying to be Kid Cudi, "Can I Love" is just him jacking the flow from Drake's old mixtape days, "Give it to Me" sounds like a rapper whose name I can't place right now, and who even knows what other comparison/biting examples I missed. If you were to think of a backpack rapper trying to emulate mainstream rappers for fans who -hate- mainstream rappers just because they're mainstream, then that's pretty much Logic in a nutshell.

After listening to this entire mixtape, I still don't even know who the fuck Logic really is, or what his original style is, if there even is one, because all I'm getting is that he's a fan of mainstream rappers and tries to piggyback off of them because it sounds like even on his debut release, he's short on ideas. A good drinking game would be to listen to this mixtape with friends and play a game called "Whose Flow is it Anyway?" and take a shot every time you're the first one to call it out.

5/10
________________________________________________________
Feel free to check out this mixtape for FREE on DatPiff!

READ THESE AND GET MAD