Chance the Rapper - 10 Day (2012)

Chance the Rapper, 10 Day, mixtape, Chancelor Bennett, 2012, Fuck You Tahm Bout, Nostalgia
Recorded following a 10 day suspension from school due to possessing marijuana on campus, this mixtape contains both the RAPS and the SINGS! You read that right: A musical anomaly!!

Chance the Rapper, 10 Day, mixtape, Chancelor Bennett, 2012, Fuck You Tahm Bout, Nostalgia

If you read my review of Chance the Rapper's previous mixtape, you'll know I was a big fan of his positivity (what the hell is with my spellcheck telling me that "positivity" isn't a word? that's just negative thinking) and most of what he had to say about social issues, self esteem issues, etc, on the mixtape, and on this mixtape, I find myself in pretty much the exact same boat as before. Maybe a prettier, more stable boat, but that doesn't really do anything for me when it starts to sink.

He's (at least to my knowledge, I didn't recognize any songs in particular) done rapping over alternative rock songs, and is now rapping over some soulful shit that'd even have Kanye West jealous from the love irradiated from it, be it from the production or the actual song. Listen to "Nostalgia", which brings back memories of my own, given that he and I are about the same age. It's a gorgeous song about just that: Nostalgia. It'd be weird if it was about anything else, you dumbass!!

Chance the Rapper has a big enough heart to envelope the entirety of Chicago's population via a black hole effect, unless we're talking the random BANGER "Fuck You Tahm Bout" towards the end, in which he boasts "I'll choke you with your bling bling, then run faster than Tink Tink, and all these goofies mad though, like, "Why he such a asshole?" And I ain't even mad yo, I'll stab you with a screwdriver. That shit ain't even rhyme nigga, I'm fucked up out my mind nigga." which is HILARIOUS AS SHIT to hear him say, because at least it isn't like the awkward "22 Offs" where he gets on some horrorcore shit and you can tell he had been listening to too much Eminem, as he describes an imaginary story of him murdering the cop that busted him for weed in the first place.

The mixtape suffers from the same problems the last one did, while fixing a few: The rapping is better, the production is better, but ultimately, while Chance the Rapper has plenty of interesting things to talk about, none of them are really delivered in an entertaining way to my ears, but I guess that's to be expected from young talent without too much experience in the songwriting field. I mean, he DID make this while in high school... WHERE HE MADE THE MISTAKE OF BEING HIGH IN SCHOOL!! BAM!!

6/10
________________________________________________________
Feel free to check out this mixtape for FREE on DatPiff! 

READ THESE AND GET MAD